ENGLISH – JOB INTERVIEW

Job Interview Matching
1. Would you like something to drink?
2. Could you tell me something about yourself?
3. What kind of work do you like to do?
4. What are your skills?
5. Why do you want to work for this company?
6. What salary do you want?
7. Can you tell me about your work experience?
_____________ I want to work for a company that has been here a long time. I’m a customer of your company and I think you give excellent service. I know this company will be here for a long time. I hope there will be opportunities for me to be promoted.
_____________ No, thank you.
_____________ I have a lot of experience with computers. I can use Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel. I can type 50 words per minute. I am good at math and enjoy working with numbers.
_____________In my country, I worked as an automobile body repairman at a garage. I worked there for 5 years. I repaired many different kinds of cars, and I used many different tools. I am good with my hands. I think my last experience will help me with a job here.
_____________ I come from Hong Kong. I graduated from the Mountain High School there. I came to San Francisco in 1993. I’ve been working at the Han Gift Shop since 1995. I’ve been studying English as a Second Language and office training at City College of San Francisco. I really enjoy working with people and working with computers.
____________ I’ve heard the usual salary for this position is between $12 and $15 per hour. I think that would be OK.
____________ I really enjoy working with people. That’s why I want to work as a customer service representative in a store like yours. I have a lot of experience in customer service. I like helping the customers and talking to them. I am very friendly.
Answers for personal preference questions


Why do you want this job?

· Because I’m good with numbers.
· I like working with people.
· Your company has a good reputation.
· It’s a large company, with opportunities for promotions.
· This job requires computer skills, and I have a lot of experience using computers.


What salary do you want?

· In my last job, I made $10 an hour. I would like at least that amount.
· What is the salary range for this job? I’d like at least (name an amount), because I have a lot of skills.
· I think about $2,000 per month is fair.
· Other companies pay about $12 per hour for this type of work. I think that is a good wage.


Why do you want to work for this company?

· It’s a big successful company.
· Your company is well know and makes good products.
· It provides dependable service.
· I know someone who works here. She says there is an excellent working environment here and the people are friendly.
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS/GRAMMAR
1.What are your skills?
I know how to ___________________________________.
(verb/base form)
I can __________________________________________.
(verb/base form)
2.What was your last job?
I ____________ a ______________________________.
(be/simple past) (job title)
3. Did you work in your country? ____________________
(yes/no/past)
4. What did you do?
I _______________ a _____________________________.
be/simple past) (job title)
5. What salary do you want?
I’m open.
What do you usually pay for this position?
6. Are you working now? ___________________________
(yes/no)
I _____________________________________________
(tell where you work and what you do)
7. What are your duties?
I _____________________________________________
(verbs/present tense)
8. Do you want to work full-time or part-time?
I want to work ___________________________________.
9. Tell me about your experience.
I have been a _______________ for ____________ years.
I _____________ a _________________ for ______ years.
(be/simple past) (job title)
Also, I _____________a ___________ for _______ years.
10. Tell me about your education
In my country, I studied ____________________________.
Now, I study English at City College of San Francisco.
I got a certificate in _____________ from ______________
(area/subject studied) (school)
I got a AA/BA/MA degree in ___from ___ (area/subject studied) (school)
11. What are your strengths?
I’m __________________________________________________
(adjectives to describe your personal qualities)
12. What are your weaknesses?
English is my second language, but I study every day to improve it.
______________________________________________


INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS



“Tell us about yourself.”

“What can you tell us about your self?”
“Tell me about yourself.”
A. I am … responsible
a fast learner
healthy
punctual
organized
hardworking
flexible
pleasant
honest
bilingual
B. I … like to work with people
communicate well
follow instructions
like to work with numbers
get along with co-workers

C. I am good at …

sewing
math
working with my hands
numbers
cooking


Sometimes, if you don’t have a lot of experience, you can also talk about your personal strengths.

Tell your partner about your strengths.


Interview Question Cards/Intermediate

These can be cut out and used in a group or used as a whole class mixer.
The first seven can be used for beginning. All can be used for beginning and intermediate.
Tell me about your education? What kind of jobs do you like to do?
Have you worked in the United States?
(Where have you worked?)
Did you work in your country?
(What did you do?)
Are you working now?
(What are you doing?)
What salary do you want?
What are your skills? What experience do you have?
What job are you applying for?
Why do you want this job?
Why do you want to work
for this company?
What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
JOB INTERVIEW GAME
Directions: Flip a coin.
Heads = 2 spaces
Tails = 1 space
Move to the space and answer the question.
START/FINISH
What are your skills? Tell me about
your education.
What was your last job?
(How long did you work there?)
Did you work in your country?
(What did you do?)
What are your weaknesses? Why do you want this job?
Do you have
experience?
What salary do you want?
Why do you want to work for this company? Are you working now?
(Where do you work? What are your duties?)
What are your
strengths?
What are your skills? Tell me about your work experience. What kind of jobs do you like?

Interview Questions Preparation
Write the answers to these questions. Give as much information as you can.
1. Tell me about your education.
______________________________________________________________________
2. What is your work experience?
______________________________________________________________________
3. What are your skills?
______________________________________________________________________
4. What are your strengths?
______________________________________________________________________
Interview Questions: Intermediate

Part 1

You are applying for a job as a waiter at a nice restaurant. Can you think of more answers to the two questions? Discuss your answers with your classmates and write them down.
1. Why do you want to work for this company?
  • Because I heard this is a good company to work for.
  • Because I’m a good waiter and I want to work for a nice restaurant.
2. Why do you want this job?
  • Because I like waiting tables.
  • Because I’m very good at waiting tables.
3. What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
  • I see myself working as a manager at a restaurant.
  • I see myself owning a restaurant.

Part 2

You are applying for the job you want. Write your answers to the same questions.
1. Why do you want to work for this company?
2. Why do you want this job?
3. What do you see yourself doing five years from now?

Interview Question Practice (Optional)
  1. Can you tell me a little about your background?
  2. What kinds of jobs or training have you had in the past?
  3. Are you currently employed? (If yes, ask number 4 and 5. If no, ask 7 and 8).
  1. Can you describe a typical day/week on the job?
  2. What do you like least about your present job?
  3. Can you describe a typical day/week at your former company or job?
  4. What did you like least about your old job?
  5. Why should we hire you and not somebody else?
  6. What do you consider to be your greatest weakness?
  7. Why are you interested in this job?
  8. How much do you expect to be paid?

12. Do you have any questions for me? Version A 
Interview Practice Questions

  1. Can you tell me a little about yourself?
  2. What kind of training or experience do you have in this field?
  3. Do you have a job now? (If yes, ask 4 and 5. If no, ask 7 and 8).
  4. What are your responsibilities?
  5. Why do you want to change your job?
  6. What were your responsibilities in your last job?
  7. Why did you leave your last job?
  8. What do you think are your greatest strengths?
  9. What do you consider to be your greatest weaknesses?
  10. Why are you interested in this job?
  11. When are you available to start?
  12. Do you have any questions for me? Version B
SUMBER : Pelajar yang mengambil subjek ini.